Presentation and history
The current Basilica was built to replace the original Basilica destroyed in a fire on March 29, 1922.
Two architects, Maxime Roisin of Paris and Louis N. Audet of Sherbrooke, worked for several years on the design and construction of this church. The construction began on July 6, 1923 and there are still parts that have not been finalized at this day…
Like many churches, it was constructed in the shape of a Latin cross. It is Neo-Romanesque in style, but built using more modern techniques. It rests on solid rock. The granite used came from the quarry at Saint-Sébastien, in Beauce, QC.
The Basilica's central vault is completely covered with a series of mosaic dedicated to Saint Anne. Her life is portrayed in the vault of the central nave and of the two transepts. Her virtues are written on the part of the vault where the nave meets the transepts. Her glorification is depicted in the apse (vault of the Basilica's sanctuary). These mosaics are the works of Auguste Labouret.
Period of operation :
Open every day. Varying schedule according to season.
10018, avenue Royale, Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré (Qc) G0A 3C0
Telephone : 418 827-3781
Fax : 418 827-8771